Saturday 15 May 2010

Jessica Watson's Day!

I have just watched young 16 year old (nearly 17)  Jessica Watson sail over the finish line in her boat Pink Lady  in Sydney Harbour in what is a glorious autumnal day, surrounded by hundreds of other boats and thousands of Australians cheering her on, and I was so suprised to find how moved I was when that hooter went off! She has just sailed solo around the world for 210 days, and after being at sea for seven months, how must she be feeling! Congratulations Jessica, and all concerned - an amazing and inspiring journey. 

She is nearly at the steps of the Opera House and I need to go and watch soon again - it is compelling television and I am glad she is home safe, but I worry for her welbeing in the next few months as she settles back into life at home.

So, I have some cards -  but they are sympathy cards!  They are cased from the ideas book of course - but there is one that is about teenagers and sort of connected to Jessica - here it is!



It is a sympathy card for parents of teenagers who are beginning to test the boundries!

It's an easel card and I used the computer to generate the wording.  The card is inked with SU Pink Pirorrette, and I have cut out the heart and the rose and stuck them over another heart on the front, and the rose next to the 'Hang in There' sign in the middle.  It amused me and I made it with scraps from a magazine, to see what it would look like.  Don't know if I would use it but can imagine a situation where someone might need to be given a 'hug'.



This card is made with three different stamp sets, one from Waltzing Mouse (the circles), one from SU (the swirl) and the Butterflies are from TJ Designs.  The origional had a big round patterned stamp which I do not have but thought this button circle from Faux Circles might work - I have added two other cirles from the same set to try and add to the depth of the circle pattern as well to replicate the look of the origional. The SU Baroque Motif swirl is always useful and the butterfly from TJ's Songbirds set has had a few outings. These are stamped on acetate with black StayzOn and coloured with Sakura JellyRoll pens, and then fussy cut and glued on with Dimentional Magic.  I tried to colour in with the Copics but they only picked up the black ink and would not stay on. The card is SU Confetti White (torn edges) and this always has a heavy blotting paper look I think, which suited the card,  and the ink is SU So Saffron.  This is layered on black and then again onto So Saffron card.  The sentiment was printed off the computer on the card before it was torn. Here is an upclose of the butterflies. Now realise I need to draw in the feelers on them! I will do that now.


The last two cards used the same sentiment but I printed off two copies of it using different fonts to see what the difference was - and I like them both, actually.  Again, I used SU Confetti White paper and stamped a Stamp World cloud image (Cloude) using versamark over the sentiments.  I then wiped the paper over with pale blue chalk, and put some SU Blue Bayou ink on the edge of the LHS one.  The tree is paper pieced together from bits cut from imaginisce Go for Baroque - Blue Blooded card. This was freehand cut, doing the trunk and the leaves seperately.  I tore off a bit from the bottom of brown and each one is layered up differently, one using a grene scrap and one a brown, and one is on SU brown card and one is SU Blue Bayou.

 You can see the clouds a bit better here. I do like the look of them.

Cheers, and happy card making!

No comments: