Saturday 10 July 2010

Platypus in the River.....


We went to Ross on Wednesday.  It is a small country town in the centre of Tasmania, an area know imaginatively as 'the Midlands'. We were meeting friends who had flown into northern Tassie to visit family, and Ross was halfway between the two of us.  It was a lovely day - I call them blue winter days - the temperature was about 13 at the highest, but there was no wind, and we got to see out friends and enjoy a lovely meal at the Ross pub. Before we met with them, John and I stopped at the Ross bridge - 'constructed by convict labour in 1836, it is the third oldest bridge still in use in Australia. Commissioned by Lieutenant-Governor Arthur, the bridge was designed by architect John Lee Archer, with the convict work team including two stonemasons, James Colbeck and Daniel Herbert, the latter being credited with the intricate carvings along both sides of the bridge' (Wikipedia).  In other words - its lovely.

While taking these pictures I saw a small animal with its back to me in the water at the edge of the river.  It was nosing into the mud and fissicking around.  It took my mind several seconds to recognise it, and when I did I was so suprised I let out a noise and scared it into the river, where it swam off - it was a platypus!  Took me a few seconds to raise the camera and get some shots off. It is not often you see them in daylight and in civilisation - really topped off my day.


Now, to the card - I have made a card for two challenges this afternoon, while listening to Hawthorn nearly beating Geelong at footy - I combined the two challenges into one card.

Little Paper Shop Colour Challenge - LPSC#75:  orchid, razzleberry, olive
Mojo Monday Sketch - MOJO146


The green bazzil card as a base, some SU Lovely Lilac, some DP from DCWV Pocket full of Posies stack, green ribbon purchased yesterday from the craft fair, and an image from Thereshegoes - Treemendous (sentiment too), and stamped in SU Old OliveKaiser bling added.  An interesting combination of colours - not something I would have chosen to go together before this. Darn, Hawthrorn have lost by two points!

1 comment:

There She Goes Clear Stamps said...

This is so pretty! I love the shimmery cardstock and the rhinestones are a great addition :)