Sunday 4 March 2012

Show Us Your Flowers!

My first post as a member of the Lets Ink It Up Design Team


and the Challenge is to 

Show Us Your Flowers!


Challenge # 21- 4th March to 26th March 2012

Challenge - SHOW US YOUR FLOWERS
Flowers may be handcrafted or shop bought.
Use your imagination

Prize package consists of the following

2 sets Handcrafted fabric flowers
(great to add to a handbag, brooch etc)
1 Pack white Prima flowers
1 Pack 1" Ivory Tea Roses
1 Pack 1" white foundation blooms
1 Pack 1" Rose Leaves

My contribution to this month's challenge is a decorated glass slider folder from Papercraft - and involved a lot of fiddly stuff.  This is the order of doing it but the time frame stretches over several months.



  • Some time ago I purchased some glass slides - they sat in the cupboard for a loooong time
  • Before Christmas I played with alcohol inks - one of the things I did was put the ink onto two glass slides (the brighter coloured slides). I also put some ink onto white card to clean up the applicator - that's the card under the other two slides. These sat on my desk for a long time too.
  • I purchased two Kaiser stand alone stamps:  Parade and Deco Lamp - Parade is a line of 20's flapper girls and the lamp is an old-fashioned art deco style lamp - I had an idea I would stamp the slides with the Parade girls but too fiddly for me!
  • I have been trying to use up my very large supply of background papers before I purchase new ones (a bit of a lost hope that) so earlier in February I scrounged out a set of 12 x 12's of Keeping Memories Alive called Dirty Laundry and used them to cover the folder and make the flowers.  I sanded all the edges and then inked them with Tim Holtz Distress Inks of various colours
  • At this stage it became apparent that the middle join was not sturdy! I used some white material tape I have to bind it, after distressing it with various inks and the Annabelle Stamp set called Fanciful Flowers and Memento London Fog ink. I also stamped the sentiment at this stage using this set.

  • I used this same ink to stamp the lamp post and to stamp various borders from a set called Grunge Corners by Lily Of the Valley
  • Meanwhile I had stamped the Parade set onto SU Whisper White using Memento Paris Dusk. I carefully fussycut out two ladies and stuck them onto the glass slide the same side as the alcohol inks 
  • I stuck a piece of white card behind them
  • I got two clear slides and attached them to the white card I had cleaned up the alcohol ink applicator on, and trimmed around the edges - they have the same colours but more muted.



  • Using the computer I generated a conversation between the two ladies and then distressed the card  before cutting it out and adding it to the top of the two clear slides: then I put all four slides into the folder




  • The problem is of course, the slides run east-west and the card is north-south! Anyway, whilst doing this I cracked one slide! Bummer!



  • Then I made a whole lot of flowers using various dies and the same DP and layered them onto the front of the card - the dies are: two Marianne Creatables (LR 0108 and LR0196) and two BossKut dies - large daisy and wild flower cut out.  The leaves and fiddly bits come from the Marianne dies.


  • Two Kaiser brads and  two flower centres (one coloured to match with the trusty Copics) from Prima completed it. 

What'cha think?

7 comments:

marion said...

I think you've made an amazingly beautifull card, with gorgeous flowers. Hugs, Marion

Maria said...

I absolutely love this Susan, the flowers on the front are beautiful and I love the inside with the slides - it's wonderfully different.

Maria x

Monica said...

What pretty colours in there, Susan and such lovely flowers. And the inside is so detailed and creative too.

Monica xxx

Unknown said...

Fantastic DT project Susan, I love it. Your flowers are just stunning. Hugz Suzanne

Tamara Morton said...

Hi Susan, wow this is stunning!! adore all those paper flowers and the colour scheme is fabbie too!
Hugs
Tamara

Unknown said...

Oh Susan, I adore your flower frenzy, they're superb! As are your flapper girls! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, all the best, Ira

Dorothy S said...

This card is wonderful. What lovely flowers in great colors. This is a great item for your first DT post, if I followed that correctly.
Thank you also for the nice thoughtful comment on my card. I am just starting that blog and I do not know what I am doing - not sure how I got that photo there LOL!