Monday 4 February 2013

Doilies are all the go at the moment!

I love a pretty doily.  And I must confess I have a couple of doily stamps as well as the real thing in a variety of shapes and designs. However, today I felt like doing something a bit different with the doily.

It just so happens that the new Challenge #19 at  Unstampabelles this month incorporates using a doily (or two+) in your artwork. Cardmaking Online is sponsoring this Challenge! This can be one of the many paper ones, croqueted, stamped or doodled or........



Cardmaking Online is our sponsor this month with a $25.00 gift certificate for the prize.

This is the link..... 

http://www.cardmakingonline.com.au


If you are not aware, Stampin'Up have just released their new seasonal catalogue (Making a Difference for 25 Years) - yummy, yummy.  In it are a few new things - for example some kits that make creating a bit easier when you have that mental lapse (a bit like I am going through at the moment!). I really liked the soft colours in a kit called Artisan Embellishments Kit and it included two doilies. I thought that I would start with that. 

However, when I got it out to look, I decided I wanted to go in a different direction (how often does that happen to you?), and got out my can of air and spray trigger, and my Copic Sketch pens.  I selected three colours - B01, B16 and BG13 - and started with the lightest.  I taped a doily with an open lacey look to a  piece of white SU shiny card, and sprayed across the top of the doily gently, increasing the depth of colour until I liked the look of what I had. You have to go slowly so the doily does not flap about and ruin the stencil effect.

Once I released the paper doily from the card, I was pleased with the outcome and the fact that I also had a doily coloured up for a future creation as well!


This became the background for the some of the items from the kit, arranged on top, with a rub-on sentiment. The flowers were separated out and the stems twisted around a stick to look like vines.  I added some Stickles to the flowers and some leaves punched out from the SU Bird on a Branch punch. 



The bird is a chipboard piece painted gold and smeared with Stickles, as was the butterfly charm, which had been air-sprayed at some time and both had been hanging around on the desk for a while. The heart button was to be the centre piece and placed on the cardboard die which had been wrapped around with ribbon.   It was all mounted on the card, and onto Primrose card, before layering this on background paper and white folded bazzil. The ticket, ribbons, die and the buttons are from the kit.  



The ribbon was then also tied in a bow to one of the hearts on the die.  The background paper was from one found in the middle of the mess when I was cleaning up the stash, and I do not know who made it (it might be Kaiser?). I completed the card by using a rub-on for the word 'celebrate' on the bottom of the diecut under the wrapped ribbon. 



So, I used a doily BUT not exactly as I expect it was thought it would be used. AND I have a doily to use in my next masterpiece. I call this style of card OTT - and will have to construct a box for it to be posted! but sometimes OTT is OK!!


I will enter this in the following challenges:

Craft Your Passion:  Pastels (mainly blue and pink)
Creative Creations: It Must be Love -Yep!
Love to Create: Celebrate
a.muse studio: doilies!
Ginger Loft:  Love is in the Air

12 comments:

JanR said...

So cool that you used the doily as a mask!

Deborah Frings said...

This is really pretty and so romantic too! I rather like doilies!

Flutterby Trina said...

absolutely beautiful! Thanks for playing along with us at Creative Creations Challenges - good luck and hope to see you again soon x

Laine said...

Stunning card Susan. Wonderful design and detail. Your card is not directly linked to the Challenge but I found you. You may perhaps wish to re-link? Thank you for joining us at Love to Create Challenge this week as we Celebrate our 1st Birthday.
Laine
xx

~ginny said...

Susan - You have made a beautiful card! You will need to be careful about posting a correct link- the one you posted goes to a page that does not exist and I had to search thru your blog to find your entry. Good luck with the "Pastels - with no brights or darks" Challenge at Craft Your Passion...
I look forward to seeing your creation next week!

~ginny
CYP Design Team

Pooja said...

Lovely card ! I liked the idea of using doily as stencil !

Jackie Randolph said...

Gorgeous Susan!! Beautiful colors, design!! Thanks for joining us for our 1st Birthday Celebration!!

Would you mind contacting me at jackier@insightbb.com so we can discuss you joining us as a Guest Designer, I've sent you an email but not sure you are receiving through google.

Hugs!

Merry said...

I really love how you added the doily to your card. Such a great effect and wonderful background for those beautiful flowers.

Tami said...

Thanks for playing at Gingerloft I would love to talk to you about joining our DT Alyssasmom98@aol.com

Unknown said...

Gorgeous card! Love how you used the doily as a mask! Thank you for joining our Celebration Challenge this week at Love to Create Challenge Blog.
Ruza, LTC DT

Chris said...

I love the idea of using a doily as a mask - I did that this week too! Your card is lovely. Thanks for playing along with my Amusing Challenges this week!. So glad you joined us!

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW such a beautiful combination of colors and love the way the doily is a beautiful backdrop for the flowers
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts School Projects