Monday 3 June 2013

Unstampabelles and CASing!



Challenge #24

What is CASing?  It is when you see someone else's work, and either love it or not, decide to use it as a template, or be inspired from it to create another card or project. You can either directly copy it, changing the colour, or one or two elements, or just be inspired by one part of it (colour scheme, technique or element).

The Belles this month have decided to challenge ourselves and you by CASing a card from a fellow Belle from a past challenge.

The Prize for this challenge is kindly donated by


I had great fun looking back through the old posts at Unstampabelles and reliving all the lovely things people had made. I was drawn in particular to Jan R's work and her circle card when we were using doilies in our challenge. I decided to make a circle card with my die-cutting machine and some dies, and re-create her card - albeit my card is much simpler than hers!

This is Jan's:
                              

This is my take on it:


My card is created using Co'Ordinations card stock, and a die - a Spellbinders Grand Nestabilities scallop.  Here was my firt error -assuming Jan's card was bigger than it was.  I purchased this set a while ago and can only use the first three dies as the rest are too big to go through my die machines. However, I can trace out and cut using the bigger ones and have done that several times. The card stock has a pink back similar in colour to the small acrylic flowers from SU that I have used on the front. 


The doily is also a die cut - from Di-namics - and I have put this through an SU embossing folder as well.  The card is SU Pool Party. The sentiment has been die cut too - from a scrap of the base card, and I thought I was doing it so that the dark side would show up, but got it round the wrong way, decided I liked it anyway, and so that is what we have! The die is a Marianne one. You can see it better below. 


The heart is die cut from white shimmer card using an SU die cut and smooched around with some TH Distress inks in similar colours as the ribbon. It probably should have an edge but I could get one that looked OK so left it as is. 



The ribbon is actually a hairclip - it is a locally made piece of craft, and I used it as the first thing to set the colour scheme by, and so that it can be taken off the card and used as a clip by the recipient of the card - hence the sentiment "Just for You".  It is currently attached with a piece of double sided tape! Now, the card is top heavy with ribbon, and I could not get it to sit properly - it rolls. JanR tells me that you take a small slice from the back bottom of the card and this solves the problem - so I did and it did! Thanks for the tip Jan!

Conclusion - it's pretty; I like making a round card, and now I know how to stop the rolling, I like it even better; and I now realize it doesn't have to be a big circle - a smaller circle would have been a better fit for the bits used, but I am happy with my CASing.  I did spray it with white shimmer and it does have a soft sheen as a result. This doesn't show in any photograph. 

I will enter it in the following challenges:
2 Creative Chicks:  buttons and bows


Emma's Cards: Buttons and Bows
The Ribbon Girl: ribbon and die cuts

6 comments:

JanR said...

It makes my day that you chose one of my cards to CASE, Susan! Your card is great, it's so cool that you used a hair clip on it.

jane stillman said...

A gorgeous CAS card, lovely design. Thank you for joining us over at Emma's Crafty Challenge, good luck

Nana said...

Beautiful shaped card. Thanks for linking up over at 2 Creative Chicks

Have a creative day.
Nana
♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

Migdalia said...

A lovely card!A wonderful Job!!

Thank you for playing at 2 Creative Chicks Challenges.
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia
♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

Unknown said...

Lovely design and colours, great work, thank you for playing along with us at Emma's Crafty Challenge this month xxx

Emma Goddard said...

Stunning card hun, thanks for entering Emmas Crafty Challenge, good luck xxxx