Saturday 12 October 2013

Lollipop Ladies and Jubes

Jubes...
Always like a jube to chew on - they have been around for years and years it seems. Quite vintage in fact! That's why the twist for this fortnight is VINTAGE!

The challenge at the Lollipop Ladies  is to be inspired from this photo - colours, shapes, whatever........then add the twist and create a crafted item to suit! 



Guest DT spots are able to be won each fortnight

and our sponsor this fortnight is: Mad for Markers*
(thanks to Sammi).


A choice of 3 of her M4M digi stamps.

Prize will only be offered if 7 or more entries partake in the challenge.


My take for this - I used some of the colours for my inspiration but the red and the green and the darker red were the ones that hit me in my eyes, I got the yellow in there too! It is the poinsettia flower from the SU set called Joyful Christmas. I have coloured this using SU markers and a blending pen. The flower is embossed using Ebony EP (which has a lovely sparkle) and the paper is the SU Confetti card. The folder is decorated with scraps from the Christmas box. The folder itself is made from SU Primrose Petals.


The flower is fussy cut and added to a small decorated folder. I have also stamped a second image and cut the center out and decoupaged that onto this flower. I decorated a small peg with some scrap paper too, and added it because I saw a friend (Ina) had done this and tried it. This folder comes from a Splitcoast tutorial, and I was made aware of it due to the Crafting with Dragonflies current challenge to create a box with at least three cards. Both Ina and Kelli have made this folder but they look so different because of the decorations. Mine looks different again. 


Inside the folder are two pouches, and inside the pouches are four cards (2 each pouch); I have stamped the image slightly off the page for three of the four cards; masked to stamp in some leaves and have coloured them up the same way as the front flower.  I have stamped the sentiment from the same set, using SU Gumball Green ink. 


Here is a close-up of each card






I then decided to use the same set on a muslin bag, and I had seen a tutorial regarding decoupaging onto fabric using tissue, so I used that technique.  You stamp onto the tissue paper (I used StayzOn black ink) , and I used masking again to add the leaves. Fussy cut the tissue and then in the video I watched, she used Modge Podge, but I just used Craft glue to paint the back of the tissue. Before progressing I made a cardboard-wrapped-in-baking-paper wedge to insert into the bag. Then I laid the bag onto the wet tissue and used my brayer to adhere the tissue to the bag - you could try to pick it up and place it, but I saw this in the video and though what a good idea! 



Once on the bag, while the glue was drying, I used a paintbrush to draw some ink away from the edge of the image - the ink I used here is SU Pool Party  - and I stamped the sentiment using StayzOn black. I wanted a slightly vintage look so used a sponge to continue drawing the ink towards to rest of the bag, and then wiped the edges of the bag with SU Spun Sugar ink for a distressed look. 


I then carefully painted a top coat of glue onto the image and went and had a cuppa while it dried. I used the heat gun too, when I came back to complete the drying a bit more. Then I just coloured it up with the SU markers  - the glue seems to take this quite well and draw the ink into it - it needs to dry so don't touch it too much or it will smudge. The colours are much stronger than the marker/blender way of colouring. Deeper. 


Then just let it dry. 


I did stamp off the edge and trimmed the edges of the image so it would sit on the corner better. 


All the items!

I will enter the following challenges:

Brown Sugar: Anything Goes - the folder card set.
Christmas Stamping : Keep it simple  - the muslin bag (no embellies)
Creative Corner:  Anything but a card - the bag
Make it Monday: the folder and the card set







10 comments:

Merry said...

What a beautiful gift idea, the box set. Love what you did with the muslin bag.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic.

Anonymous said...

this is a pretty set. I love how it all co-ordinates! i just love the feet! thanks for joining us at Creative Corner Challenges this week and hope to see you again. Tammy DT

mags said...

These are lovely projects Susan. The card gift set is a great idea and love the little muslin bag.
Mags
x

cass said...

WOW!, your card gift is wonderful, beautiful choice of colours and so so pretty, thanks for joining us at Brown Sugar this week

Fabiola said...

so pleased to see your wonderfull and elegant creation at csayl with our C&S challenge Susan, hope to see you next time, biz

Heather said...

Hi, Susan! I already commented on your post over on the Lollipop Ladies, but you didn't show the bag there. It is awesome!! I have never tried this before and it looks time consuming, but I have to say it came out amazing. Thanks for playing with CSAYL.

happyglitzygirl said...

love all of them, blessings Hilde

Wynn said...

Susan I've read this with fascination!!! I love how you've done the muslin bag. Reminds me a bit of using those pretty paper napkins and modge podge. I love fabulous card gift set.
Hugs Wynn x

Jenny said...

Ganz bezaubernd. Gefällt mir wirklich gut.
Danke für deine Teilnahme bei CSAYL. LG Jenny