Monday 17 November 2014

Midway for Challenge #41 - Box it Up!

Wow, have you seen what the DT are producing!



You can either construct something from scratch or repurpose/change something into a receptacle to hold something useful or pretty or both but there are so many tutorials and ideas out there I am sure you will be able to create many more wonderful things!

The TWIST is.......

.....show us how the box was made!  
Show progress photos and add tips - make a photo journal of it!


Our Sponsor for this challenge is:
an Australian on-line store who are offering a $15 Gift Voucher on the on-line store!

Here is my photo journal for a gift box containing four tea lights. (This is being scheduled, so I hope it goes live at the right time!)

This box comes from Patricia Belsey who put the instructions for making this up on a  Facebook group I belong to - her instructions were a bit hard to follow but she took a photo of the card marked up prior to construction and cutting and added that and I used that as the main instruction. 

This is her completed box

Her dimensions are:
6 1/8" x 9 3/4"
Score on long side at 1/2", 3 5/8", 5 1/8", 8 1/4"
short side at 1 1/2" and 4 5/8"
Die cut on score lines 8 1/4 and 6 1/8

this is her measurement sheet

Die is from SU Chalk Talk - smallest framelit


Fold up score lines and turn in tabs to add the red tape/glue
If adding cellophane/ascetate windows - this is the time to do it,not retrospectively, as I did it!

Start from first window end, and make a box by folding in the tabs


Middle window is a fold line/crease line/hinge line for the box top

You can see I got the tape in the wrong place! My prototype is made using SU DP which is OK but a stronger card would make a stronger box. Double sided card works well.


This size takes 8 tea lights. I just used four.  I added washi tape around them to match the DP.


Decorate as you wish - I did stick down the flappy bits a bit more later as well!


It was at this point that I decided that I needed acetate windows retro-fitted and I added a button too. You could wrap a ribbon, or make a belly band.

Ta da!
You could put food in this or sweeties!

So, a box! Lets see what is happening over 








2 comments:

Chris Stern / CS Designs said...

Hi Susan, What a clever little box, and such a nice idea. Love the how to. Just stopping by today to say hi and nice to meet you. I look forward to working with you on the Eclectic Ellapu DT in the months to come and have become a follower of your blog through Google and Bloglovin' so I can come visit again.
:) Chris / CS Designs

Donna Ellis said...

Aren't you clever? I love those pretty little windows in your candle box! great idea and such a wonderful use of embellies, too! hugs, de